Debian

Diskusije usko vezane uz Debian distribuciju.

Moderator/ica: Moderatori/ce

Odgovori
bukuney
Postovi: 1
Pridružen/a: 22 ruj 2010, 11:29

Debian

Post Postao/la bukuney »

If I am using Debian/Linux can I pass a virus onto others ? Like by proxy but without knowing it, and no, I do not mean an Internet Proxy, I mean unwittingly or without my knowledge. Can this occur? If it can, how do I stop Viruses from spreading?
_________________________
market samurai ~ marketsamurai ~ marketsamurai.com
Zadnja izmjena: bukuney, dana/u 30 ruj 2010, 08:19, ukupno mijenjano 1 put.
Avatar
Abzeenth
Site Admin
Postovi: 6502
Pridružen/a: 06 lip 2009, 23:16
OS: Kubuntu & Fedora
Lokacija: Online

Re: Debian

Post Postao/la Abzeenth »

I can't tell you for Debian in particular, but Linux is generally considered to be "safer" than Windows when it comes to viruses. However, that does not mean there are no viruses for Linux or that Linux machines are completely immune. I do think that viruses on/for Linux spread a bit differently than Windows viruses do; I suppose if you do a bit of googling you could find the information you're looking for. I take it you don't speak/understand Croatian? People here might be able to help you, but they might have some difficulties getting their messages across. I found this: http://www.linuxclues.com/articles/21.htm; I'm no expert, but this article explains some basic things (maybe you already know all that). If you suspect you have a virus on your Linux box, you should definitely have it scanned/checked and report on the results, here or somewhere else where you think people can help you.

If I find some more information, I'll post it here; hopefully others will try to help you as well.

EDIT: A few more links...I hope I'm helping you with this, and not just distracting you with things you already know :D
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus
http://www.spamlaws.com/linux-viruses.html
Avatar
glaskoncILLa
Postovi: 5678
Pridružen/a: 28 vel 2009, 16:36

Re: Debian

Post Postao/la glaskoncILLa »

bukuney je napisao/la:If I am using Debian/Linux
good choice! :D
bukuney je napisao/la:
can I pass a virus onto others ? Like by proxy but without knowing it, and no, I do not mean an Internet Proxy, I mean unwittingly or without my knowledge. Can this occur? If it can, how do I stop Viruses from spreading?
you can. your pc doesn't have to be infected ( most of the linux viruses are only proof of concept ) but you can still pass viruses with e-mail, infected files you share with others, etc, etc..
you can try to stop that with antivirus/antispam apps, google linux antivirus for options.
...."Have you mooed today?"...
..It’s that time of the decade: I’m reinstalling Debian..
Avatar
Suko
Site Admin
Postovi: 16079
Pridružen/a: 03 tra 2008, 18:09
Spol: M
OS: Mint 17 Cinnamon
Lokacija: Svugdi me ima. Slavonija uglavnom.

Re: Debian

Post Postao/la Suko »

Your PC with Debian on it doesn't have to be infected with virus, but you can still have files that carry viruses which can be dangerous for Windows users.
Those files can be for example jpg. pictures, PDF files ...
Those viruses can't hurt you on your Linux PC, but you can transfer them (via email, USB sticks, CD...) to Windows PC. There they can do damage.
So it is important to scan your files with antivirus programs so you can prevent infecting other computers that run Windows.
There are some Linux antivurus programs that basically do just that.

Linux itself is more-less immune to viruses that exist today because they are mainly written for Windows. Also, Linux has different structure that makes it more difficult to perform administrative tasks that viruses require.
So, you can not be infected, but you can infect others if you have files with viruses.
Avatar
iv@n
Site Admin
Postovi: 7631
Pridružen/a: 01 pro 2007, 18:12
Spol: M
OS: openSUSE TW
Lokacija: Vinkovci, Hrvatska
Kontakt:

Re: Debian

Post Postao/la iv@n »

ke? sopak
To avoid criticism ~ do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
Avatar
Suko
Site Admin
Postovi: 16079
Pridružen/a: 03 tra 2008, 18:09
Spol: M
OS: Mint 17 Cinnamon
Lokacija: Svugdi me ima. Slavonija uglavnom.

Re: Debian

Post Postao/la Suko »

Aj voz der d dej bifor jestrdej.
;)
Avatar
drade
Postovi: 910
Pridružen/a: 12 svi 2010, 07:57
OS: linux

Re: Debian

Post Postao/la drade »

Suko je napisao/la:
Aj voz der d dej bifor jestrdej.
;)
Ju ar from Hangari? Aj voz d dej aftr jestrdej in Hangari. :D
When you're a kid and you wanna go "Weee !", but you ain't got drugs yet ... You hold out for your life, hold on to your little GONADS ... and STRIFE.
Avatar
Suko
Site Admin
Postovi: 16079
Pridružen/a: 03 tra 2008, 18:09
Spol: M
OS: Mint 17 Cinnamon
Lokacija: Svugdi me ima. Slavonija uglavnom.

Re: Debian

Post Postao/la Suko »

:)
csx

Re: Debian

Post Postao/la csx »

mislim da je to opet onaj debian bot ^^
Avatar
/Zoran\
Postovi: 376
Pridružen/a: 22 lip 2010, 16:47
Spol: M
OS: Fusion / XP
Lokacija: Selo

Re: Debian

Post Postao/la /Zoran\ »

Ban and trash.....
"How come things that happen to stupid people always happen to me?" -- Homer
Odgovori